Friday, February 18, 2011

Kiss of Fire Review

Kiss of Fire 
by Deborah Cooke :

   Ace accountant Sara Keegan decides to settle and run the New Age bookstore of her late aunt Magda, but she's one too practical for the things she reads from the inventory, let alone believe in living dragons. When she's saved from the attack of a vicious man by a sexy stranger who can shape shift into a dragon, she questions her mental state and the startling reaction of her body to her savior.

Quinn, the dragon shifter, is a loner distrusting all of his kind, the Pyr, because of a painful past. Feeling the signal of his breeding to a destined mate, he vows to protect and posses Sara, regardless of all costs. Quinn realizes he must risk everything, as Sara realizes and makes sense of her destiny, so that they may fulfill their fates.

****

    So, I really wanted to love this book, but I wasn't able to. The story was very original in my opinion, the author had put a lot of (maybe too much?) work into the plot and the systematics of the characters. Well, at least with the Pyr characters. I felt that there was a blandness and lack of depth to Sara. There was a brief instance that she seemed fiery in character, but it quickly died out and she became easily accepting of everything. I feel she was used only as an agreeable reaction to the instructions or interactions with Quinn. The main emphasis was on Quinn and the Pyr, basically. Not the relationship between Quinn and Sara.

  The courting quickly came too easily just because she enjoyed an image of him naked in chocolate and the zipping and crackling of their 'firestorm.' The firestorm is still something I don't completely understand, but I guess it gets more understandable in the progression of the series? I'm only guessing and hoping.

  I did enjoy the back story of Quinn. It was very touching and made sense as to his determination. Also the story of the creation of the Pyr and their life of mysticism were interesting. But then I had to force myself to read the ending of this novel. The other characters lacked any emotional depth. Too much was rushed into the scenes all at once and became jumbling, trying to hold the reader's attention with over the top twists in story.

  I don't understand the ideals of the Slayers, especially with the conditions of reproduction of all Pyr. Oh, the Slayers are the rival dragon group out for destruction of humankind and the 'good guy' Pyrs. I would like to air out more of my frustrations with this novel, but I wouldn't be able to without spoiling.

 There was a lack of real emotional interactions, besides the obvious on Quinn's part. Sara wasn't offering much (even when she found out about the true demise of her family, she didn't give a convincing play of a reaction) and the ending was just too much, but I guess it was all for "the greater good" and service as a cliff hanger for readers to get the second novel. I don't know if I'll even bother, though.

  Maybe I just don't get dragons? For a romance novel, it was too lacking in romance for me. Poo!

Book Details:
ISBN: 978-0-451-22327-2
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Publisher: Signet Eclipse
Pages: 352
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Point of View: Third Person
Series / Stand Alone: 1st in Dragonfire Series

Purchase Information: Amazon



**This book is listed on my bookshelf on PaperbackSwap if you're interested in reading.**

0 comments: